Toast, It's not just for breakfast anymore: Big Love Critique

Friday, July 20, 2007

Big Love Critique

I'm a fan of the HBO series, "Big Love". It's a (sadly inaccurate) show about polygamy and the troubles polygamists might face in America. Don't get me wrong. I just enjoy the show. I'm no fan of polygamy. Polygamy's probably bad for the women too, but can any man imagine having to do what 3 or 4 women tell us to do, instead of just one? This probably sounds funny to the ladies, but the men know what I'm talking about. Living up to a single spouse's expectations is tough. Multiple ones... fugitaboutit.

But the series raises an interesting question. There's another show on TV about Hugh Hefner and his wife and 3 other women who he sleeps with regularly. It's legal polygamy, since he doesn't bother to marry them. Some might say it's even worse than polygamy, since he discards them when he's done. I do.

I feel like a Puritan for asking, but why do we allow this crap?



Listen to our anthem

This blog is on the 'no tag' list.